To your families good health, in your own universal designed kitchen. A healthy home (and kitchen) is another smart component in the UD home plans.
This open plan has in floor radiant heat and bright natural light throughout.
The serving bar is open to the informal dining area for efficient service and dining. Notice the clear space for mobility device use.
The best universal designed kitchens provide usability for everyone and life-time living.
The actual blueprints for construction, both custom and from the plan book include construction sections, details and necessary interior elevations.
These details andspecifications are included features in these construction documents. Most standard home plans do not include sufficient details. There is a cost efficient balance of necessary level of detail vs. excessive detail. UD details that are necessary to communicate intent are included in stock plans, more on custom projects when hard bids are necessary.
All of these fixtures and appliances are designed to be used from a seated position. Notice also how the upper cabinets are lowered so seated people can even use them. Notice the undercounter microwave and oven.
This kitchen is usable by everyone for a life span but does it really look any different or stigmatizing? You'd love it when your 90...and you will be!
Universal Design Kitchen Numbered Checklist with Features (what) and Benefits (Why)
As mentioned the plan book features a list of Universal Design (UD) home items with usable dimensions ( both in feet/inches and SI/metric units) that are included and have been found to be of immense help with kitchen remodels and home additions. My clients have confirmed this! Remember this is an abreviated list.
1. Every Kitchen has a minimum 60-inch circular turning and double use diameter space within.
2. Space between opposing counters and walls is a minimum of 48 inches (1220 mm)
3. There is a min. 30 x 48 inch (762 x 1220 mm) clear use space in front of all appliances and use areas for seated use if preferred.
4. There are no more than 26 feet (7.93 Meters) measured from center to center of all 3 major appliances. This is known as the kitchen work triangle. No leg in the kitchen triangle is less than 48 inches (1220 mm) or longer than 9 feet (2743 mm) for maximum efficiency.
5, Some kitchens are designed with two work zones for multiple users. Varying Counter heights range from 30-34 inches (762-864 mm) for sitting, to 36-42 inches (914-1067) at a serving bar. Most product lines offer a UD product line that sets the counter at 34 inches (864 mm) when finished. This was not available not to long ago, showing growing popularity of Universal Design that allows living in place, some time called Aging in Place.
6. Serving counters (or bars) may have dual heights for standing and seated users.This is a fun option so kids and grandparents can sit and prepare meals together.
7. Counter edges can be beveled and have with contrasting color for visual edge definition.This makes them both safer and easier to tell where the edge is.
8. Color contrast around the perimeter of the kitchen space defines “rooms” in open spaces and provides a visual edge for space definition at the floor.
9. Twenty nine, (29 inches: 737 mm) of clear space under the counter provides knee space underneath the sink. That, along with a shallow sink provides space when one wants to sit down.
10. Cabinet doors are either removable or feature pocket hardware that slides back underneath or hardware that swings open 170 degrees.
11.Optionally adjustable sinks can be selected that raise and lower at the touch of a button.
12. Upper cabinets are also available with optional automatic or manual up/down operation.
13.Typical upper cabinets are located 15 inches (380 mm) above the counter rather than 18 inches (457 mm) so they are more easily reached from a seated position.
14. Cabinet door hardware has "D" shaped pulls and /or magnetic "touch latch" hardware.
The above noted kitchen features and benefits are a small portion of all that are available. More are listed in the plan book and of course I will explain all in detail with you if and when I work with you.